- This story was delivered to Business Insider Intelligence Digital Health Pro subscribers earlier this morning.
- To get this story plus others to your inbox each day, hours before they're published on Business Insider, click here.
Private insurers touting Medicare Advantage (MA) plans are gearing up for the 2020 Medicare enrollment period, and UnitedHealthcare is kicking digital offerings for its MA members up a notch, according to FierceHealthcare.
As UnitedHealthcare looks to retain control of — and build out — its 25% share of the swelling MA market, here are two new benefits it's adding to its MA plans starting in 2020:
- Virtual visits with docs will be an option for 4 million MA customers. It's likely the virtual visit offerings — made possible by the CMS' increasingly softening stance on the telehealth — will get traction given that over half of seniors are willing to try telehealth, per a 2019 American Well survey.
- It's leveraging remote patient monitoring (RPM) tech for members afflicted by a range of conditions. Including this tech in health plans should keep patients satisfied while also keeping costs down for UnitedHealthcare: 38% of healthcare organizations that ran an RPM program reported reduced admissions and 25% saw a decrease in ER visits, per a KLAS research report.
As more insurers release updated MA plans, we expect others to flaunt new-and-improved digital offerings. Insurance startup Devoted Health just announced that it'll give its MA members a major Apple Watch discount, for example.
Want to read more stories like this one? Here's how to get access:
- Sign up for Digital Health Pro, Business Insider Intelligence's expert product suite keeping you up-to-date on the people, technologies, trends, and companies shaping the future of healthcare, delivered to your inbox 6x a week. >> Get Started
- Join thousands of top companies worldwide who trust Business Insider Intelligence for their competitive research needs. >> Inquire About Our Enterprise Memberships
- Explore related topics in more depth. >> Visit Our Report Store
- Current subscribers can log in to read the briefing here.
Featured Digital Health Articles:
- Telehealth Industry: Benefits, Services & Examples
- Value-Based Care Model: Pay-for-Performance Healthcare
- Senior Care & Assisted Living Market Trends
- Smart Medical Devices: Wearable Tech in Healthcare
- AI in Healthcare
- Remote Patient Monitoring Industry: Devices & Market Trends